ZINC PICOLINATE CAPSULES
Zinc picolinate is a highly available form of zinc supplement, easily dissolved to release the elemental zinc for use in the body. Picolinic acid helps with the absorption across the intestine wall.
Zinc is found throughout the body and is involved in a considerable number of processes and functions:
- the metabolism of proteins, carbohydrates, lipids and vitamin A
- keeping the immune system working
- protein manufacture and the maintenance of healthy skin, hair and nails
- muscle growth and reproductive health
- DNA synthesis and cell division
- as an antioxidant, protecting cells from oxidative damage
- maintaining healthy bones
- supporting cognitive performance
- normal visionThe body is able to regulate its zinc levels so that within certain limits any excess is discarded. A supplement is only required in cases of deficiency, or in cases of clinical need for a specific targeted application of zinc.
The daily requirement of zinc is readily available in a balanced diet, including vegetarian diets if they include wholegrains and pulses (such as beans and lentils).
The recommended daily intake of zinc is 10mg. One dose provides 13.8mg active zinc. This is about 1.4 times the recommended daily intake so should only be taken with care if it being used as a dietary supplement; there is a danger that together with any dietary zinc the recommended upper daily limit of 25mg will be exceeded. The quantity of picolinic acid in this supplement is a tiny proportion of daily intake limits.
Excessive zinc consumption can have toxic effects, or could lead to anaemia. Do not take more than 25mg total zinc intake.